Kubuntu upstart stagnates after failed attempt to upgrade from Jaunty to Karmic. .PARTIALLY SOLVED.

Bas Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 09:13:03 UTC 2009

Hello everybody

A few days ago I sent you this message:
> Yesterday (Fri. 6 November 09) I started an attempt to
> upgrade .....

In the mean time, I managed to partially solve the problem. The
upgrade I started yesterday at the desktop succeeded. The process was
slow long, but smooth enough. It has been interrupted once by a
network problem. But after restarting the upgrade, the process went on
at the point where it stopped.  Ever since this morning, Kubuntu
Karmic runs at the desktop from where I write you this message..

However, the laptop is still a problem. But this has not only to do
with possible bugs or connection problems. A dis-functional CD/DVD
combo drive and other hard ware problems also disable me to upgrade or
fresh-install smoothly. I will let you know what result will come out
of a next attempt: a fresh-install via a USB stick.

Respectfully yours,

Bas.