Upgrade 8.04->9.10 fails: crash to tty, claims can't mount rootfs

Dexter Filmore Dexter.Filmore at gmx.de
Sun Nov 8 13:57:56 UTC 2009

Am Donnerstag, 5. November 2009 08:55:33 schrieb Nils Kassube:
> Dexter Filmore wrote:
> > So today I finally decided to upgrade to 9.10 from 8.04.
> >
> > Now after rebooting the system crashed to a maintenance shell
> > claiming the system wasn't able to mount the root fs.
> > Funny thing here: / was mounted. could perfectly dive into the
> > system, run programs and so on. Perfectly mounted.
>
> Did you check that you really have your disk partitions mounted? The

snip

Yes, the mounted / was the real deal as I could access my custom files and as
you stated below menu.lst and everything else. mount was sda6 which is
supposed to be my / disk. No seperate /boot partition in here.

Thanks for the grub(2) and runlevel info btw.

> Anyway, I have no idea what went wrong. But can you tell us how you did
> the upgrade from 8.04 to 9.10? The way you did it might be important to
> raise some ideas.

I went with how Canonical thinks it should be done: called the update from
Adept. (Usually I go with adapting sources.list and aptitude away, but since
update-manager does more then that I wanted to play it safe.)

Dex