top or htop? Which one lies?

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Sat Nov 7 22:54:47 GMT 2009

I hope someone on here can clear this up.

According to top my RAM is as follows:
2060580k total,  1866728k used,  (which seems to me to be a ridiculously enormous amount of RAM to run a bare desktop)
According to htop (which I can't copy and paste)
269/2012MB (which seems to me to be a quite miraculously small amount of RAM to run a bare desktop)

Which one lies? And why the mahoosive discrepancy? And why are there never any simple answers in life?
(you may ignore the 3rd question, I asked the GF that one and she gave me "that look").

Mark