Move default 'home' and some opinions

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 22:51:18 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 3:22 PM, Alan Dacey Sr. <GrokIt at ajinfosearch.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 05 November 2009 07:30:56 am Jonas Norlander wrote:
>> 2009/11/5 Michael Hirsch <mdhirsch at gmail.com>

>> > The usual way is to mount your new partion at /home.  So if your new
>> > drive is /dev/sdb and your desired partition is /dev/sdb1 you would
>> > execute mount /dev/sdb1 /home
>> > if that works, you make it happen at book by editing your /etc/fstab to
>> > make it happen at boot.
>> >
>> > To be a little more modern, use either a label or UUID for the
>> > partition.  I think Kubuntu uses UUIDs so you fstab would look like:
>> > UUID=84a46ac2-fb27-4cc0-bb35-fcdb77e140a7 /home      ext3
>> > relatime,errors=remount-ro 0       1
>> >
>> > I thought I knew how to find the UUID, but it isn't working.  Someone?
>>
>> blkid can be used to print UUID and Label for partitions on connected
>>  drives.
>>
>> / Jonas
>>

> or   ls -al /dev/disk/by-uuid

yes, that is what I was going to recommend, but it doesn't work on my
Jaunty box.  I only have "by-path".

Anyone know how to enable "by-uuid"?

-bash-3.00$ ls -al /dev/disk/by-uuid
ls: /dev/disk/by-uuid: No such file or directory
-bash-3.00$ ls -al /dev/disk/
total 0
drwxr-xr-x   3 root root   60 Aug 27 08:56 .
drwxr-xr-x  10 root root 6660 Aug 27 15:01 ..
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  120 Aug 27 08:56 by-path
-bash-3.00$

--Michael