9.10: No Java?

Mark Fraser ubuntu at mfraz.orangehome.co.uk
Tue Nov 3 11:15:30 GMT 2009

On Monday 02 Nov 2009 21:07:36 Clay Weber wrote:
> On Monday 02 November 2009 02:45:36 pm Ric Moore wrote:

> > > Have you tried installing sun-java6-bin or sun-java6-plugin? As in all
> > > the installs I've done recently, only installing
> > > kubuntu-restricted-extras or ubuntu-restricted-extras wasn't enough.
> >
> > Oh yes, I have sun-java-bin installed but it's not the latest version
> > others report having. Strange. Ric
>
> In karmic, I have the 1.6.0.15. It doesn't work with Konqueror, but is fine
>  on Firefox.
>
> I can get it to show an applet after a refresh here:
> http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml
> Is it safe to say Konq'a java support is spotty at best?

I see what you mean now. Just tried Konqueror in both Jaunty and Karmic and
neither of them seem to have Java working although on the Sun test page I get
1 or 2 coffee bean icons in the bottom bar.

With Jaunty and Firefox 3.5.4 the above page tells me I've got Java 6 Update
16. So, why has Jaunty got 16 and Karmic and Lucid only got 15?
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=sun-java6