Somebody SURE loves them some kblocks

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Mon Nov 2 14:53:21 UTC 2009

Ric Moore wrote:

> On Sun, 2009-11-01 at 16:47 -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:

>> If you don't want dependencies removing meta-packages, don't install
>> meta- packages!
>
> I thought those were installed automagically as part and parcel to the
> install process?? Owell... as I mentioned it looked scary as heck and I
> have hit the "shiny red button" once too often in the past to not be
> leery of it. :) Ric

kde-full isn't installed automagically, and I'm fairly sure kdegames isn't
either.  Sure, kubuntu-desktop is, and that's the one that scares most
people when they try to remove something it depends on.  There really isn't
any way I can see to reduce that stress.  If the meta-packages were all
named "*-meta", it would still only help those who understood exactly what a
meta-package was.  Perhaps the package installer could be smart enough to
allow meta-packages to be removed silently - but then you'd never know that
some other, possibly important, package had been added to its depends in
future.
--
derek