GRUB2

Bruce Marshall bmarsh at bmarsh.com
Sun Nov 1 21:56:35 UTC 2009

On Sunday 01 November 2009, John Pierce wrote:
>  I mean to say that I am
> never taken to a grub2 menu.  I have since un-installed grub2 and
> repeated this process twice with the same result each time.
>
> Also, I have not seen any upgrades come through the pipe line since I did
>  this.

Any messages when it fails to boot??

I filed a bug quite awhile ago when I tried to add grub2 onto the legacy
(during jaunty)

The setup changed all   menu.lst entries to have:

root   <UUID string>

instead of

uuid  <UUID string>

The root line just doesn't work but it was easy enough to change on the fly
EXCEPT FOR:

all entries but the  first  would have the

root  <UUID  pointing to the kernel root uuid when it should have pointed to
the /boot  uuid.>

the first entry was correct for the uuid.

So adding grub2  to the legacy grub was really messed up and if I recall, the
only thing that would boot  was the original first entry, and only using the
legacy grub.

grub sets up wrong boot situation
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/446292