Kubuntu uses too much memory. What is the cause?

Chris Jones christopher.rob.jones at cern.ch
Sat May 30 11:54:33 BST 2009

> 2 GB for my home machine and 4 GB for my work machine. The few
> applications
> that use most memory are Kontact and Amarok. Amarok uses +1GB.
> Kontact uses
> about 700 MB. (One day, I will switch to mutt...).

When you look at the memory usage in top, and you quoting the virtual
or resident size ? If the virtual then basically ignore that,
applications always over commit and it doesn't mean much. The resident
size is the important one. I would be very surprised if amarok was
really using 1G (i.e. resident)  ??

Chris