Kubuntu uses too much memory. What is the cause?

Alvin info at alvin.be
Sat May 30 10:26:11 BST 2009

On Friday 29 May 2009 18:15:31 Chris Jones wrote:
> Alvin wrote:
> >>
> >> Just out of interest, are they both the same OS ? Is one 32 bit and the
> >> other 64 bit by chance ? 64bit OSes tend to use a little more ram that
> >> 32bit (due to various things like pointers being twice as big) ...
> >
> > Well, they are both the same. Both are Jaunty 64-bit with the same
> > repositories. My computer at work does have more ram, but usually has way
> > more applications running. (Kontact, Amarok, some Konsole windows, Krita,
> > OpenOffice, Konqueror and KRDC,...) Memory is full of cache, but not
> > completely filled.
>
> It just sounds to me like your home machine could do with a ram boost...
>
> You say you are using more apps at work. That might be true but often
> there are only a few applications that use a lot of ram. Most are quite
> small normally. So it just sounds to me like your work machine has
> enough ram whilst your home ones doesn't. What ram sizes are we talking
> about here ?

2 GB for my home machine and 4 GB for my work machine. The few applications
that use most memory are Kontact and Amarok. Amarok uses +1GB. Kontact uses
about 700 MB. (One day, I will switch to mutt...).

> As has already been said, there are only two real solutions.
>
> 1. Run less applications
> 2. Buy more ram

I'm only running a small number of applications. If everything is ok with the
software, these are the only solutions. I'll probably buy some memory. It's
pretty cheap these days.