Attempting to move from kde 4.2.2 to 4.2.3

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at
Sat May 30 02:38:13 BST 2009

On Friday 29 May 2009 08:45:13 pm David McGlone wrote:
> On Friday 29 May 2009 08:27:41 pm steven vollom wrote:
> > Dear David,
> >
> > Sometimes when I am asked for my password, I get the response you see on
> > the last post.  Sometimes it takes the password and works.  Other than it
> > seems to always work like the last post when using the konsole anymore, I
> > have been asked for passwords from gui's and the password has worked
> > normally there. This is a new experience today, never before.
> >
> > When you suggested reinstalling the memory and video card, do you think
> > it may be accepted with a fresh install?  The extra work would be worth
> > it if I could eliminate hardware failure from the equasion.  I can
> > reinstall in about 20 minutes; reconfiguration takes a bit longer, but
> > the installation goes pretty fast with Jaunty.
> Yes I would suggest putting your memory and video card back in and doing a
> fresh install.
> But before you do so, here are some pointers to make reconfiguring easier:
> 1. Save the following folders so you can just drag and drop them after the
> fresh install to get Kontact configured the way you have it now
> /home/steven/.kde/share/apps/kmail
> This means just save the folder named kmail
> also save:
> /home/steven/.kde/share/apps/kabc
> This is your address book, you only need to save the kabc folder.
> The rest of the apps I wouldn't worry about, since you can configure them
> when you use them over a period of time.
> This way, you can format your /home directory and get a complete fresh
> install without the possibility of any settings messing anything up.
> Once you've done your fresh install, drag the kmail folder and the kabc
> folder back where they were before you open kontact and all your settings
> will be restored for kontact
> Finally after you do this, shoot me an e-mail and I'll show you how you can
> quickly get your software for proprietary software such as watching movies,
> playing mp3's, java and flash.
> After that we'll work from there.
> --
> Blessings,
> David M.
I wish I hadn't gone so fast, this is just what I would have liked.  I have
some of those folders from a prior installation, so I can probably save some
time dragging from the backup partition.  Thanks again,