Attempting to move from kde 4.2.2 to 4.2.3

David McGlone david at dmcentral.net
Sat May 30 00:45:13 UTC 2009

On Friday 29 May 2009 08:27:41 pm steven vollom wrote:
> Dear David,
>
> Sometimes when I am asked for my password, I get the response you see on
> the last post.  Sometimes it takes the password and works.  Other than it
> seems to always work like the last post when using the konsole anymore, I
> have been asked for passwords from gui's and the password has worked
> normally there. This is a new experience today, never before.
>
> When you suggested reinstalling the memory and video card, do you think it
> may be accepted with a fresh install?  The extra work would be worth it if
> I could eliminate hardware failure from the equasion.  I can reinstall in
> about 20 minutes; reconfiguration takes a bit longer, but the installation
> goes pretty fast with Jaunty.

Yes I would suggest putting your memory and video card back in and doing a
fresh install.

But before you do so, here are some pointers to make reconfiguring easier:

1. Save the following folders so you can just drag and drop them after the
fresh install to get Kontact configured the way you have it now

/home/steven/.kde/share/apps/kmail

This means just save the folder named kmail

also save:

/home/steven/.kde/share/apps/kabc

This is your address book, you only need to save the kabc folder.

The rest of the apps I wouldn't worry about, since you can configure them when
you use them over a period of time.

This way, you can format your /home directory and get a complete fresh install
without the possibility of any settings messing anything up.

Once you've done your fresh install, drag the kmail folder and the kabc folder
back where they were before you open kontact and all your settings will be
restored for kontact

Finally after you do this, shoot me an e-mail and I'll show you how you can
quickly get your software for proprietary software such as watching movies,
playing mp3's, java and flash.

After that we'll work from there.

--
Blessings,