Attempting to move from kde 4.2.2 to 4.2.3

steven vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 30 00:40:01 UTC 2009

On Friday 29 May 2009 08:32:33 pm David McGlone wrote:
> On Friday 29 May 2009 08:07:00 pm steven vollom wrote:

> > > I'm not moving to 4.2.3 either. I'm going to wait a while.
> > >
> > > Steven, I would suggest putting your memory and video card back and
> > > doing a clean install of jaunty, and then from what you say, you have a
> > > pretty top notch system, you should install VMware or virtualbox (I
> > > think it's called) so you can install other OS's without messing with
> > > your default jaunty install.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Blessings,
> > > David M.
> > > http://www.dmcentral.net
> >
> > David,
> >
> > I realize how it must seem, but I have not yet installed any other system
> > on my computer.  I really haven't done the kind of experimenting that I
> > seem to have a reputation for.  Look at the strange thing that happened
> > to my name when shown in the konsole.  How could that have happened?
> >
> > VMware and/or Virtualbox were a dream for the future.  I have only made
> > the natural changes as follows:  Windows XP to Kubuntu Fiesty to Gutsy to
> > Hardy to Intrepid to Jaunty.  The only time I installed an OS in the
> > experimental stage was Jaunty.  I only installed Jaunty on recommendation
> > from a very smart helper from the List who prefer's his anonymity.  The
> > only reason he recommended it was because of my current equipment.  He
> > also has the same equipment and it is the only way to make a computer
> > now, unless I go back to Microsoft.
> >
> > Here is my equipment.  ASUS M3N-HT Deluxe Mempipe motherboard.  8gb
Axiom
> > ECC DDR2 240pin SDRAM, AMD 9600 Black Edition Quad Core processor, 1TB
> > Western Digital SATA HDD, 500gb Maxtor SATA HDD, BFG 800W Power Supply.
> > I have two case fans that are programmed to turn on higher speeds if
> > needed. 9600 nVidia GForce Video Card w/512mb DDR3 ram.  Onboard nVidia
> > 8400 GPU, onboard 8.1 sound, and a new SATA DVDRW.  The motherboard has
> > 780a nVidia chip too.  The combination will work out of the box on
> > Microsoft, but it requires the technology only provided in Jaunty to work
> > with Linux.  I have to edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst to get the video to
> > work properly by adding the term pci=nomsi.
> >
> > If I had know it would be such problems, I would have purchased something
> > else, I just bid on the stuff shown and only paid 10% of its then value.
> > I thought I was purchasing very close to the best that money could buy at
> > bargain prices.
> >
> > Haven't been back 1/2 day and already I am screwing things up. Sorry my
> > friend.  I am back to another fresh install.  Thanks!
>
> Ok After you get a clean fresh install let us know. Don't do anything
> special too quick and start learning how to admin your system with baby
> steps.
>
> The slower you take things the better you will get, and it will happen
> faster because your not trying to deal with a bunch of problems at once.
>
> I know you want to learn, so you can give a helping hand in the future, but
> you aren't going to learn if you try to tackle too many problems at once.
>
> I remember years ago when I first started using Linux. If I couldn't figure
> out something, I'd ask and try a couple suggestions, if the suggestions
> didn't work, I would do a fresh install and be done with it. Eventually
> over time I got better.
>
> Heck back then using e-mail was a pain for a newbie. I used Pine in a
> console window. Dang it was booooooring! I even had to set up my internet
> connection on the command line using pico or VM and a text only web
> browser. It was nuts! (Maybe I was nuts!) :-)
>
> Anyway, It probably took me a good 2 years to actually be able to use Linux
> without screwing something up and being able to fix what I do screw up.
>
> --
> Blessings,
> David M.
> http://www.dmcentral.net
Thank you David.  I just tried to install synaptic and adept thinking I could
maybe solve some problems using one of them, but now every time I try to add
or remove anything my password is ignored for the entry you saw from my
konsole.  I hope I didn't frustrate you too much.

Steven

I take to heart everything you said above, but