Attempting to move from kde 4.2.2 to 4.2.3

David McGlone david at dmcentral.net
Sat May 30 00:32:33 UTC 2009

On Friday 29 May 2009 08:07:00 pm steven vollom wrote:
> On Friday 29 May 2009 07:40:29 pm David McGlone wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes, press the up arrow. For each press, you see one back in history.
> > > Then you can edit the line and press enter to run it.
> > >
> > > And -- take my advice: don't move to 4.2.3. Just get your plain Jaunty
> > > working okay and leave it alone.
> >
> > I'm not moving to 4.2.3 either. I'm going to wait a while.
> >
> > Steven, I would suggest putting your memory and video card back and doing
> > a clean install of jaunty, and then from what you say, you have a pretty
> > top notch system, you should install VMware or virtualbox (I think it's
> > called) so you can install other OS's without messing with your default
> > jaunty install.
> >
> > --
> > Blessings,
> > David M.
> > http://www.dmcentral.net
>
> David,
>
> I realize how it must seem, but I have not yet installed any other system
> on my computer.  I really haven't done the kind of experimenting that I
> seem to have a reputation for.  Look at the strange thing that happened to
> my name when shown in the konsole.  How could that have happened?
>
> VMware and/or Virtualbox were a dream for the future.  I have only made the
> natural changes as follows:  Windows XP to Kubuntu Fiesty to Gutsy to Hardy
> to Intrepid to Jaunty.  The only time I installed an OS in the experimental
> stage was Jaunty.  I only installed Jaunty on recommendation from a very
> smart helper from the List who prefer's his anonymity.  The only reason he
> recommended it was because of my current equipment.  He also has the same
> equipment and it is the only way to make a computer now, unless I go back
> to Microsoft.
>
> Here is my equipment.  ASUS M3N-HT Deluxe Mempipe motherboard.  8gb Axiom
> ECC DDR2 240pin SDRAM, AMD 9600 Black Edition Quad Core processor, 1TB
> Western Digital SATA HDD, 500gb Maxtor SATA HDD, BFG 800W Power Supply.  I
> have two case fans that are programmed to turn on higher speeds if needed.
> 9600 nVidia GForce Video Card w/512mb DDR3 ram.  Onboard nVidia 8400 GPU,
> onboard 8.1 sound, and a new SATA DVDRW.  The motherboard has a 780a nVidia
> chip too.  The combination will work out of the box on Microsoft, but it
> requires the technology only provided in Jaunty to work with Linux.  I have
> to edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst to get the video to work properly by adding
> the term pci=nomsi.
>
> If I had know it would be such problems, I would have purchased something
> else, I just bid on the stuff shown and only paid 10% of its then value.  I
> thought I was purchasing very close to the best that money could buy at
> bargain prices.
>
> Haven't been back 1/2 day and already I am screwing things up. Sorry my
> friend.  I am back to another fresh install.  Thanks!

Ok After you get a clean fresh install let us know. Don't do anything special
too quick and start learning how to admin your system with baby steps.

The slower you take things the better you will get, and it will happen faster
because your not trying to deal with a bunch of problems at once.

I know you want to learn, so you can give a helping hand in the future, but
you aren't going to learn if you try to tackle too many problems at once.

I remember years ago when I first started using Linux. If I couldn't figure out
something, I'd ask and try a couple suggestions, if the suggestions didn't
work, I would do a fresh install and be done with it. Eventually over time I
got better.

Heck back then using e-mail was a pain for a newbie. I used Pine in a console
window. Dang it was booooooring! I even had to set up my internet connection
on the command line using pico or VM and a text only web browser. It was nuts!
(Maybe I was nuts!) :-)

Anyway, It probably took me a good 2 years to actually be able to use Linux
without screwing something up and being able to fix what I do screw up.

--
Blessings,
David M.