Attempting to move from kde 4.2.2 to 4.2.3

steven vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 29 21:32:51 UTC 2009

On Friday 29 May 2009 11:17:42 am Dotan Cohen wrote:
> That is because you are trying to run dolphin as root, which has UID
> 0. Why are you running Dolphin as root?
>
> --
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://what-is-what.com
> http://gibberish.co.il
I lost my computer to an unknown reason and just got it back.  I did not have
a screen of any kind for days.  Finally, a friend suggested I remove my video
card and memory down to one stick and use the onboard video, which is 8400
GForce using board memory up to 256mb.  That finally got me a screen.

The first time I had to edit using root, was when I had to enter the term
pci=nomsi which is necessary if I want to use my 9600 Gforce video card.  To
do this I have to open dolphin or kate in root to edit the
/boot/grub/menu.lst.  After adding the appropriate pci=nomsi, I am usually
able to use the 9600 card.  The reasons for the edit are as follows;

To have my system recognize more than 4gb ram, and I have 8gb, and to allow my
motherboard chip, nVidia 780a, and the 9600 GForce to work.

When the computer went down, I could not get any screen at all.  It was
similar to when I first purchased my motherboard (which had a defect and had to
be replaced), no boot up data even would appear.  However when I got the
replacement motherboard, I was able to get the grub to appear.

Then I found the need for the pci=nomsi instruction being added to get my
board, memory and video card to work properly.  And that required being in
root to make the changes.  It also required that I use Jaunty for an OS while
still in beta.  The alternative was not to use the computer at all.

Since the recent crash, things are not working properly yet, but, in the past,
I found some improvement when moving from kde 4.1 to kde 4.2, so hearing so
much good talk about the kde 4.2.3 version, I wanted to upgrade.  I thought it
might solve the current problems.

I made my google search looking for the needed instruction, so I wouldn't have
to bother the List, at least until I did everything I knew to do, and found an
instruction to first update then upgrade.  When I attempted the upgrade, I was
stopped from continuing the forum instruction due to the uid 1000 not having
permission and uid 0 having the privilege.  I then opened dolphin and
attempted to change permission to be able to continue the forum instruction.
It would not allow or make provision for me to put in the appropriate password
to change to root, so I then attempted to open Dolphin by typing into the
konsole: sudo dolphin.  Dolphin opened, but not without the error message
mentioned above, but it did open.  It already showed read and write permission
in the box at the top, but root root at the bottom of the window, and I could
not find a way to make the change to steven steven.

This is the best of my recollection.  I have been having so much trouble just
retaining a working desktop at any level, I don't have a better memory right
now.

One thing I just did, though, was I decided to take a break and try to get my
mind off the things I was unable to currently solve and decided to play a
movie.  Although I have a beautiful GUI to work with when working the problem,
when I attempt to play a movie, I only get audio with a black screen for
video.  My thought is that perhaps since I am now using onboard video, I
should edit out the pci=nomsi instruction.  Perhaps that is the reason.  If
not that, I am stumped.  TIA

Steven