Attempting to move from kde 4.2.2 to 4.2.3

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Fri May 29 16:28:57 UTC 2009

> Please help me move up from kde 4.2.2 to 4.2.3.  I have been trying on my own
> for days without success.  Additionally please notice the Error message above.
> 'Error: “/var/tmp/kdecache-steven” is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
> What does that mean?  User ID 1000 as opposed to User ID 0?

User ID 0 is root. 1000 is 'you'

Your problem is for some reason you are trying to start dolphin as root

steven at steven-desktop:~$ sudo dolphin

why are you doing this ?

Just start as your normal user

steven at steven-desktop:~$ dolphin

Chris

> Does the error need correcting, if so, how?  Thanks!

No idea. You don't say why you are starting dolphin, or why you are
trying to do it as root...

Chris