Kubuntu uses too much memory. What is the cause?

Alvin info at alvin.be
Fri May 29 15:24:03 UTC 2009

On Friday 29 May 2009 16:52:38 Chris Jones wrote:
> > I'll keep looking for the real reason. My Kubuntu workstation at work
> > usually has more applications open and never uses swap.
>
> Just out of interest, are they both the same OS ? Is one 32 bit and the
> other 64 bit by chance ? 64bit OSes tend to use a little more ram that
> 32bit (due to various things like pointers being twice as big) ...

Well, they are both the same. Both are Jaunty 64-bit with the same
repositories. My computer at work does have more ram, but usually has way more
applications running. (Kontact, Amarok, some Konsole windows, Krita,
OpenOffice, Konqueror and KRDC,...) Memory is full of cache, but not
completely filled.