Kubuntu uses too much memory. What is the cause?

Chris Jones christopher.rob.jones at cern.ch
Thu May 28 19:12:05 BST 2009

>> Hi,

> many times, when i really need to put everything in RAM again (i hate
> waiting for swapp->ram moving while in the middle of working), i do a:
>
> cat /proc/swaps   (not necessary, i like to know how much is used)
> sudo swapoff -a   (everything in swap moves to RAM)
> sudo swapon -a
> cat /proc/swaps   (make sure 0 swap is used)
>
> i have the above 4 lines in a script called "freeswap", chmodded and
> put
> in /usr/local/bin . and i use it very often :)

Just curious, but I am not sure I see how this saves any time. Surely
the above takes just about as long as just letting the system manage
the swap itself and copy stuff from swap to RAM as and when it is
needed ? At the end of the day both methods are doing the same
thing... The only thing I could imagine that helps is the system is
more efficient doing a 'bulk' swapoff, as above, then selectively
unswapping only what is required. As I said, just curious...

The only real solution I know of to cure a system that is swapping a
lot, is to add more ram...

Chris