KDE4.3 beta issues

Willy K. Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Thu May 28 21:21:07 UTC 2009

Terrell Prude' Jr. wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>> IF it were not meant for end users, why was it the ONLY version of KDE offered
>>> in 8.10?
>>>
>> That is a distro issue, not a KDE issue. Be mad, but at *buntu, not at
>> KDE. KDE still offers KDE 3.5.10 for download, and still calls it "the
>> more mature version":
>> http://kde.org/download/
>>

> Kubuntu's inclusion of it is, yes.  On that point, we agree and always have.
>
> HOWEVER...the release of that barely-beta set of tarballs known as KDE
> 4.1 (and not "KDE 4.0 Beta") is a *KDE PROJECT* issue, *not* a distro
> issue.  Same for what got called 4.0 (should've been called "KDE 4.0
> Alpha").  Again, let's hope that the KDE Project doesn't make that kind
> of mistake again.  You say "be mad," well, what will make your user base
> mad is when you don't own up to your own mistakes and try to blame a
> version numbering mistake on your part onto the distros.  Don't do
> that.  If it's not ready for end users yet, then release the code, fine,
> but don't call it "4.0" or "4.1" without ""alpha" or "beta" on it.  What
> part of that are you not understanding?
>
> --TP

KDE has the right to name it whatever they want. the KDE4 API was mature
enough, and KDE 4.1 was mature enough to be released as *4.1* with a
warning that applications are bound to crash, and it's NOT for
productive use. KDE had every damn right, being *their* project, to even
call it KDE 4.5 if they want to, as long as their warnings exist.
the one to be blamed is kubuntu. THEY are the ones who had no right to
include such software in their distro and claim it a stable distro for
releasing.

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems