KDE4.3 beta issues

Willy K. Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Thu May 28 21:14:36 UTC 2009

Mark Greenwood wrote:
> On Thursday 28 May 2009 07:10:28 Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>> Arguing that KDE is not a desktop environment is extreme pedantry. Without KDE on my machine I have a command line. When I put KDE on it I have a desktop environment. KDE is therefore a desktop environment - I neither understand nor care about the esoteric developer arguments about why it's an 'umbrella'. See it from your user's point of view and you will understand.
>>>
>> And what can you do with that desktop? Would you like a text editor? A
>> file manager? A web browser? An office suite? A PIM application? A
>> terminal editor? An audio application? Video? How about a development
>> IDE? Maybe some games?
>>
>> KDE includes all of that.
>>

> Exactly. That's what I mean by a desktop environment - something that makes my computer useful; applications and an environment in which to run them. I think the problem actually is that we perhaps have different views on what constitutes a 'desktop enironment'.. so let's not go down that road :)
>
> Mark

that is the meaning of a desktop environment, very true. now the buggy
part is the desktop, just the desktop, but people are
blaming/bashing/accusing/complaining about (choose what suits you) KDE
as a whole, that is, the desktop, and all KDE applications. which is not
right.

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems