KDE4.3 beta issues

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Thu May 28 06:42:35 BST 2009

Goh Lip wrote:
> I have been ruminating over this, I am both awed and puzzled. If I am
> on Jaunty with Kde 4.3 beta upgraded from Jaunty Kde 4.2.3 which
> itself is upgraded from Jaunty Kde 4.2.2 and this OS started its life
> from Intrepid Kde 4.0; if I then remove .kde and restart, what will I
> get?

The ~/.kde folder is for your personal configuration of your desktop.
But there are also some other things like your emails, web cache,
bookmarks, etc. Therefore what you get without a ~/.kde folder is the
same as if you freshly installed your current KDE version. All the
settings are the KDE defaults. The ~/.kde folder will be created at
login time if it doesn't exist. Every application creates its own config
file when you start it the first time.

Just to make sure you don't lose important stuff like your emails, you
should rename that folder instead of removing it. Another option to find
out what it would look like is to create a new user and login as that
new user.

Nils