KDE4.3 beta issues

Terrell Prude' Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Wed May 27 12:05:37 UTC 2009

Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> Personally I lay the blame at KDE's feet for that turd, it's one thing
>> to have a .0 release with a few bugs, it's another thing to release a .0
>> that's barely alpha quality.
>>

> You mistake "alpha quality" for "ready for end users". KDE was
> production-quality. However, the KDE desktop was not ready for end
> users. KDE is an umbrella of several Qt-based technologies, not just
> the desktop. That is why KDE 4.0 was released as it was.

Wrong answer.  It's called the "K Desktop Environment" for a reason.  It
was clearly alpha-quality and most definitely not ready for end users.
We who are telling you this know that very well.  *That's the point,
Dohan.*  What got released as "4.0" never, ever should've gotten
released as anything other than "4.0 Alpha", because that's what it
was--an alpha.  "4.1" should've been called "4.0 Beta" for the same
reason.  I just hope the KDE team has learned never, ever to make that
kind of mistake again.

Will let you know how "4.3 Beta1" usage goes.

--TP