About KDE again, was Re: OT. This list has become "Neighbours, The Vollom Years".

marc gmane at auxbuss.com
Tue May 26 21:27:28 UTC 2009

Myriam Schweingruber said:

> Could we change the thread name please? It has changed since quite some
> time...

>>> The KDE devs did not strip functionality. They rewrote their software
>>> from the ground up, for you. Not all the features made the rewrite,
>>> especially the features that noone is asking for.
>>
>> kde is not a rewrite. What they did was a migration. They just didn't
>> know how to do one properly.
>
> Well, then you should dive deep into techbase.kde.org and the kde.org
> website in general: it defintely *is* a rewrite. Make a SVN snapshot of
> KDE 3.5.10 and one of KDE 4.3 trunk and compare...

Ouch! Are they still using subversion. I will do the compares and see
what I find - although I will put the repos on git, as this sort of this
is a lot easier there.

> For those who are non coders (and I guess most of the list does not do
> KDE development):
>
>  Qt3 was the coding framework for KDE 3.x, KDE 4 is entirely based on
> Qt4. The very structure of KDE4 has changed, compared to what KDE 3.x
> was, so pretending this is not a rewrite needs a lot of "chuzpe".

That's pretty insulting, since you have no idea of my background or
experience to judge these things.

I'm not "pretending". It's my view. The CoC says, Be Nice, not Be Rude
and Insulting.

Nevertheless, a change of a library version, even a graphics lib (I know
QT is bi more than that) does not require a rewrite. That's the height of
silliness. (Background: I was working with Nokia when they bought
Trolltech, so I do know a bit about QT and its development.)

> Marc, please go into any of the KDE developer lists and IRC channels
> (#kde-devel on Freenode for example) and say that aloud there...It's
> easy to pester on a user list where the KDE devs do not linger.

I'm not "pestering". Why do you have to be so rude and antagonistic?

I'll go and "pester" over on #kde-devel and explore.

Luckily in this world, we can choose whose company we keep. So, I'm
leaving this list.

--
Best,
Marc