Changing display resolution

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Tue May 26 20:59:15 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 26 May 2009 13:19:53 Derek Broughton wrote:

> > *Please* tell me what they're called. If you mean the 'Display' section in
> > the System Settings, that's not what I need because that only allows you
> > to select modes that X has detected as valid. My problem is I need to tell
> > X which modes are valid. If you provide a means to do that without
> > understanding the intricacies of xorg.conf they I'd love to know it.
>
> No, the System Settings are the option.  There are some other means (e.g., I
> need to run xrandr for dual monitors, because KDE can't set the values), but
> surely Mandriva doesn't let you randomly pick modes, either.  That's
> guaranteed to lead to broken X configs more often than Ubuntu's method,
> because users will select modes that _aren't_ valid.

The Mandriva situation is still preferable - under Kubuntu I can't pick the mode I want because it's not detected. Under Mandriva I *could* pick an invalid one, but at least I *can* pick the one I want. I'd rather have it not work due to my own ignorance/stupidity than due to flaws in auto-detection mechanisms that I can't influence. (Note however that I still choose to use Kubuntu despite this obvious raging flaw ;) )

> Clearly, you can't actually use the GUI when X doesn't work in the first
> place.  Then "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xorg-server" should help.
>
> >> And for people like you, copying xorg.conf from your old Hardy or
> >> Intrepid system should also work.
> >
> > Except that the upgrade trashed it. Backup? I've never needed one
> > before... :)
>
> I find it really hard to believe an upgrade _trashed_ it.  There are usually
> half a dozen copies of xorg.conf.  KDE backs it up whenever you make a
> change.  One of those should be working.

I never made a change under Intrepid, it just worked. Hence no backups.

Mark