About KDE again, was Re: OT. This list has become "Neighbours, The Vollom Years".

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kubuntu.org
Tue May 26 18:22:10 UTC 2009

Could we change the thread name please? It has changed since quite some time...

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 20:07, marc <gmane at auxbuss.com> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen said:
>
>>> Stripping functionality from our apps and then saying that you have to
>>> ask for a "new feature" to get them back is at least as alienating.
>>>
>> The KDE devs did not strip functionality. They rewrote their software
>> from the ground up, for you. Not all the features made the rewrite,
>> especially the features that noone is asking for.
>
> kde is not a rewrite. What they did was a migration. They just didn't
> know how to do one properly.

Well, then you should dive deep into techbase.kde.org and the kde.org
website in general: it defintely *is* a rewrite. Make a SVN snapshot
of KDE 3.5.10 and one of KDE 4.3 trunk and compare...

For those who are non coders (and I guess most of the list does not do
KDE development):

 Qt3 was the coding framework for KDE 3.x, KDE 4 is entirely based on
Qt4. The very structure of KDE4 has changed, compared to what KDE 3.x
was, so pretending this is not a rewrite needs a lot of "chuzpe".

Marc, please go into any of the KDE developer lists and IRC channels
(#kde-devel on Freenode for example) and say that aloud there...It's
easy to pester on a user list where the KDE devs do not linger.

Regards, Myriam.
http://www.fsfe.org