Plasma death

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Tue May 26 14:25:37 UTC 2009

Donn said the following at 05/25/2009 03:48 AM :
> Hi,
> Just wondering if I am alone in having, every 2 days or so, to do:
> killall plasma && plasma &
> ?
>
> Windows slow down. They don't redraw. Stuff just stops working. I perform the
> above and it's ok again for a while.

Nope. There are a couple of long-standing bug reports about this (unless
this is a new bug with the same symptoms, which is always possible).

Aaron insists on bugs.kde.org that it's a driver problem. I insist that
it's not (on the grounds that it's been reported on Intel, ATI and nvidia
-- but of course a user's opinion doesn't count). External evidence
suggests that it's actually a Qt bug.

The problem can be helped (not solved) if you have any clock plasmoids by
making sure that they don't display seconds. Basically, it seems to be a
memory problem caused by updating plasmoids too much. I believe that a fix
has been submitted to Qt, so it shouldn't be too long before it arrives in
user-land.

  Doc

PS Another thing that helps is NOT to use KDE for mass copying of files.
The always-irritating notification thingy is rewritten a bunch of times
during such a copy, and is almost guaranteed to precipitate this bug.

--
Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR