KDE4.3 beta issues

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue May 26 14:22:18 UTC 2009

2009/5/25 Goh Lip <g.lip at gmx.com>:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>
>> Then you misunderstand the purpose of the beta. It is not to give you
>> a sneak-peak at what is coming out. It is to let _you_ find the bugs
>> so that you can report them and let the devs concentrate on fixing
>> them.
>>
>> File those bugs!  (....don't shout)
>>
> Myriam had mentioned this too in more details earlier. Understood. But I
> am now in karmic. FYI, kde 4.3 had been withdrawn from Jaunty
> repository, guess it was a mistake to put this in the first place before
> it is ready. Karmic is kde 4.3, but at least there are patches. Either
> way, not really a big deal.
>
> Dotan, since you are happy to file bugs or suggest new ideas, I do have
> a request for you, ie., if you don't mind; somebody could be in a spot
> of trouble if he converts to kde 4.3 in Jaunty and wants to change back
> to kde 4.2.3. For newer users, I would have to recommend a reinstall and
> being newer users, they will also baulk at this. It would be good if
> this can be made simpler. Will appreciate if you can take this up and
> inform us as well. Thanks.

I doubt that one would have to reinstall, in fact, if he were to keep
his /home/user directory than a reinstall would do no good. After
removing KDE 4.3 rename ~/.kde to ~/.kde-old and then restart: it
should give you a clean KDE. The user could them pick out the files
from ~/.kde-old that he needs (such as Kmail).