KDE4.3 beta issues

Terrell Prude' Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Mon May 25 15:26:12 BST 2009

Jussi Kekkonen wrote:
> hi
>

>>> * The size: some packages actually weight double or sometimes much
>>> more the size with the debugging symbols.
>>>
>> Yes, and we can afford it.
>>

>>> * The speed: debugging symbols are loaded in memory, which will have a
>>> considerable effect on the PC speed if one has less than 1 GB of RAM
>>> and opens many applications. Even with more RAM, try running an
>>> application in gdb (the Gnu debugger) and you will see the drastic
>>> speed drop you will experience.
>>>
>> The users we're talking about aren't _ever_ going to use gdb.  If there are
>> packages that seriously do have performance problems when the symbol tables
>> are included, that's a valid reason for leaving them out of _specific_
>> packages, but they should be included in most apps by default.
>>

> FYI there's still us who cannot afford it, really...

Huh?  Of course we can!  80GB hard disks have been with us for what,
nearly 8 years?  That's far, far more than enough room, by almost an
order of magnitude, even *with* debug symbols.  Without symbols, it's
just over an order of magnitude.  Kubuntu Jaunty takes up just under 4GB
(including /var) on my 40GB disk drive.

If someone really still has an ancient 10GB hard disk, then they need to
be using Fluxbox or IceWM or something small, not a full-featured
desktop environment like GNOME or KDE.  I would recommend Damn Small
Linux (http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/) to these folks, not *ubuntu.  And
for those folks who have an otherwise modern-enough box (say, Athlon or
Pentium III @ 1.2GHz, 512MB DRAM) but keep that 1999-era 10GB hard disk,
then it's time to upgrade the hard disk.

So yes, Kubuntu's target audience can indeed afford it, and the debug
symbols should be included, especially at this point in KDE 4's dev cycle.

--TP