Moderation

Thorny thorntreehome at gmail.com
Tue May 26 13:06:45 UTC 2009

On Tue, 26 May 2009 13:18:53 +0200, Myriam Schweingruber posted:

[...]
> as we repeatedly asked people to respect the mailing list guidelines and
> the etiquette [1] without effect, we will now put moderation flags to
> everybody who doesn't respect those rules.

Well, Myriam, I must not be seeing all the posts from this list because I
don't remember any wealth of posts to that effect. I haven't seen these
repeated posts, which you mention, that explained all of that (from either
"we" or you). I have seen you make comments (often they seemed sarcastic
to me) in your replies to posts. Talking to people as if you were their
school teacher, which appeared condescending to me. I have seen you post a
simple comment, another thread hijack, when the poster might not even know
what you are referring to and I've also noted you replying to a different
thread hijack with a helpful comment (de facto approval), that isn't
consistent enough for a moderator. You too need to follow the guidelines
if you want to lead by example. Those are just a couple of examples but,
in general, I think it would be better if you isolated your help replies
from your moderation duties and followed the guidelines as strictly as you
want them followed.

> This means for most of the list subscribers nothing will change, but a
> few here will have to be patient to get their posts approved by the
> mailing list administrators for some time. That flag will be taken away
> once it's not necessary anymore.

Will this be arbitrary or will one have to actually violate one of the
guidelines and what avenue will there be for questioning such a ban? Will
it be done in open in the list or in secret? Is there a panel or will
there just be one person making the decision?

> There is a mailing list for all Ubuntu flavors available [2] - called
> "sounder" - where random chit chat, bike shedding and such belong to, so
> this list here can be used for it's original purpose, namely support for
> users.

So, anything *you* don't want to discuss is "random chit chat", eh?
Recently one of the old members mentioned that there is an effective
benefit of OT discussions and mentioned that it has been there for the 10
years he has been taking part in lists. I too believe it and think people
work better together if they can socialize a bit as they work.

> Thanks for your understanding

You will build the type of community you want, it may, or may not be
exactly as you envision.

> [...]

I hope arguing with the school teacher and daring to reply doesn't get me
banned but I fear it might.

Shalom.