Resizing GTK windows on KDE

Willy Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Tue May 26 10:48:43 UTC 2009

On 25/05/2009, Donn <donn.ingle at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have many GTK (Gnome) apps that I rely on. Gvim and Firefox for example.
> Under KDE 4.x.x I see that resizing these windows happens in jumps or steps.
>
> Resizing a KDE window (say this email window now) happens smoothly, say in 1
> pixel jumps. Resizing Firefox happens in 10 or 20 pixel jumps.
> This is weird because they are all under the control of KDE, it's not like the
> gnome window manager is being used.
>
> Any clues to how I can change that?

yes, it's called poor graphics :)
try to over load your system, run something cpu-intensive, and try
resizing a KDE window, it will also happen in jumps, sometimes, if a
backup is running, and i try to resize konsole, the mouse moves, but
after 3~5 seconds does the window really gets resized and in one jump.
but when system is relaxed, gtk applications for some reason almost
always resize in jumps, it seems KDE has to do some extra work on
resizing these. maybe because of the qt themes applied to them
non-natively?

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems