Changing display resolution

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Mon May 25 20:25:59 UTC 2009

On Monday 25 May 2009 18:19:30 Derek Broughton wrote:
> Mark Greenwood wrote:
>
> >> whatever
> >> Mandriva did worked for your hardware - problem solved.  And _exactly_
> >> why you don't think the problem's getting enough attention from Kubuntu
> >> devs - it's got a simple workaround.
> >
> > I hardly think installing a different OS is a "simple workaround".
>
> And he didn't have to - he just copied a working xorg.conf.  That works for
> most people.  Usually you just have to post here and describe your hardware
> and someone will send you one.

OK I'm game - has anybody got a working xorg.conf for an Asus Eee Box connected to a Panasonic T2LZD81 TV?

> > It seems to me from the poking around I've done that the Debian/Ubuntu way
> > seems to be to do absolutely nothing - i.e. leave Xorg.conf empty.
>
> Precisely - xorg probes the hardware and _usually_ comes up with the right
> results.

I guess that depends on your definition of "usually". In my case that would have to be 1 time in 6, but I appreciate I'm not statistically signficant :)

> > The
> > Mandriva way is to configure it fully at setup, and provide GUI tools to
> > tweak it when it doesn't work.
>
> We have those too.

*Please* tell me what they're called. If you mean the 'Display' section in the System Settings, that's not what I need because that only allows you to select modes that X has detected as valid. My problem is I need to tell X which modes are valid. If you provide a means to do that without understanding the intricacies of xorg.conf they I'd love to know it.

> > The Debain/Ubuntu way gives the user no
> > chance at all unless they're familiar with editing xorg.conf from scratch.
>
> Not at all
>
> > All that said, I must say I've found Kubuntu (9.04) works better *when it
> > works* - but getting it to the "it works" stage often involves a lot of
> > frustration and head scratching that should not be necessary (and indeed
> > was not necessary in Hardy or Intrepid on the same hardware).
>
> And for people like you, copying xorg.conf from your old Hardy or Intrepid
> system should also work.

Except that the upgrade trashed it. Backup? I've never needed one before... :)

Mark