KDE4.3 beta issues

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Mon May 25 14:51:08 UTC 2009

On Monday 25 May 2009 15:26:12 Terrell Prude' Jr. wrote:

> Jussi Kekkonen wrote:
> > hi

> >> Yes, and we can afford it.

> >> The users we're talking about aren't _ever_ going to use gdb.  If there are
> >> packages that seriously do have performance problems when the symbol tables
> >> are included, that's a valid reason for leaving them out of _specific_
> >> packages, but they should be included in most apps by default.
> >>

> > FYI there's still us who cannot afford it, really...
> >

> Huh?  Of course we can!  80GB hard disks have been with us for what,
> nearly 8 years?  That's far, far more than enough room, by almost an
> order of magnitude, even *with* debug symbols.  Without symbols, it's
> just over an order of magnitude.  Kubuntu Jaunty takes up just under 4GB
> (including /var) on my 40GB disk drive.

But the CD image is now 700MB. There's no room there for all that debug. We don't all have unlimited high-bandwidth broadband.

Frankly though, if the software wasn't so bleedin' broken we wouldn't be having this argument would we? ;) The argument should be for better beta testing instead of releasing beta code as "finished".

Mark