home partition between 2 systems

Bruce Marshall bmarsh at bmarsh.com
Sun May 24 18:04:31 BST 2009

On Sunday 24 May 2009, Willy Hamra wrote:
> i have a seperate home partition in kubuntu. is it safe to mount this
> partition as /home in suse as well? my username is "willy" in both
> systems, so they will be sharing the same directory, which is what i
> want, in order to share between the 2 systems my kmail, amsn logs and
> settings, firefox profle, and various other settings and profiles. is
> this safe? anyone tried it? or am i better off doing soft links for
> just the directories i want to share and keeping suse's home seperate?
> thanks in advance :)

Many people will tell you not to mount your /home partition even on upgrades
to a release.   I think that is the safest position until you are sure you're
going to stick with a new release.

As for going between distros, I wouldn't do it...   You'll run into problems
with different versions of apps for example and the chances of
incompatibilities would be greater between  distros in my opinion.

And example of this was when I mounted my /home when upgrading to Intrepid
from Hardy.    All of my accounts in kmail went away because of
incompatibilities between the versions of Kmail.

I think at the very least, I would copy my .kde  directory for a backup, if
not the entire /home directory.