Changing display resolution

Jerry Lapham rjlapham at gmail.com
Mon May 25 02:58:43 UTC 2009

On Sunday 24 May 2009 6:17:17 am Mark Greenwood wrote:

> On Sunday 24 May 2009 06:50:31 Jerry Lapham wrote:
> > In Kubuntu 9.04/KDE 4.2.2 how do you get the system to recognize you have
> > a 1440x900 monitor?  When I opened it for the first time in awhile this
> > evening, it came up in 800x600.  Icons and apps were previously set up
> > for 1440x900 and so were rather unusable.  Display showed a maximum size
> > of 600x800 and wouldn't detect my monitor.
> >
> > My production system is still Kubuntu 8.04/KDE 3.5.10 but I'm making
> > progress with Mandriva 2009.1/KDE 4.2.2.  I'd like to get Kubuntu at
> > least that far along.
>
> Ah yet another person encounters my favourite bug. Nobody believes this bug
> exists you know.
>
> Add the line
>
> Option "PreferredMode" "1440x900"
>
> under the "Monitor" section of /etx/X11/xorg.conf and see if that works for
> you.

That did not work.

> Or, if you have a working Mandriva that runs  OK on the same hardware, copy
> xorg.conf from there.

That did work.  Thanks.  I'm writing this from Kubuntu 9.04/KDE 4.2.2.  Seems
kind of sad that Kubuntu needs Mandriva to do their work for them. :-(

	-Jerry
Jerry Lapham
Monroe, OH  45050
rjlapham at gmail.com
"...San Francisco, where you take a chance on being turned to salt if you look
back when you are leaving."  - Dick Boland