Installing the PPA version of KDE 4.3.2

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at
Fri May 22 17:21:46 BST 2009

Hi Donn,

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 13:56, Donn <donn.ingle at> wrote:
> Thanks to both for the explanations so far.
> I have another two questions on the subject:
> Given that the ppa intstalls KDE 4.2.3 -- what happens if the normal repos
> (main I think?) get KDE 4.2.3 at some future date? Or is this just plain not
> going to happen -- maybe being what Karmic is for?
> Also, I assume that when I have 4.2.3 installed, that the system will not
> look-for or find updates from the 4.2.2 that was the standard Jaunty
> install?

The apt-get command only install incremental version, so if you look
at the package version you install, it 's impossible to install a
previous version without removing it before. Also, the backport server
as well as the PPA archives do build in an incremental way, so you
really don't have to fear anything would be installed that is older
than what you already have on your system. Don't forget that these
packages are build by the same team and on the same Ubuntu build
servers, so have no fear :)

Once one does a dist-upgrade, the upgrade script disables all
repositories that do not have the default release name, if those are
not available in the new release, another security feature.

Regards, Myriam.