Devolo

Billie Erin Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Thu May 21 21:35:17 BST 2009

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Eberhard Roloff wrote:

>>> Agreed as to cabling. However wifi connections don't need to be poor. If
>>> properly done, and with proper equipment, it should be very successful.
>>>

> But not more so than networking over the household wiring.  I just can't
> conceive of a way that a network _designed_ to be broadcast can be more
> secure than a hardware network using the same encryption methods.

That bit has nothing to do with security. That is totally about
performance.

To answer your question. Yes, Devolo uses wires to run the network. They
piggy-back an encrypted rf signal on the 60Hz line voltage. Unless your
home wiring is completely run through metal conduit the wires will
radiate this signal. [ If you had a receiver that tuned to 60 Hz you
could listen to the wires in your home. ] Every light bulb, cord,
appliance, etc will also radiate that signal. All it takes is a radio
receiver to "listen" to the Devolo signal being radiated by the wiring.
CAT5 is at least shielded.

>> Secondly more and more people that I work for, simply do not want to
>> have wireless anymore. They do not want to expose their children and
>> themselves to more radiation that they absolutely must. dLAN is a very
>> welcome alternative here, since your mains doubtlessly are already there
>> in your house and you will not alter their already existing irreducible
>> radiation.
>>

> Run DC in the wires :-)

Turn your house into a Faraday Cage

Living anywhere in todays world is rather like living in a microwave
running full power.

>>> Personally, if I was setting up a wireless system as the OP mentioned I
>>> would use a Linksys WRT router with dual antennas. Install the DD-WRT
>>> firmware on the router. Remove one antenna and place it in a location
>>> that isn't to obvious on the lower level. After that you can adjust the
>>> power levels on the router and set it up to transmit and receive on both
>>> antennas.
>>>
>> Sure you can try, but DD-WRT is not needed, although is is really great.
>> The "Antenna-Diversity"-feature is common to any halfway modern routers
>> with more than one antenna.
>>

> I don't get it - what's the value of removing an antenna?  In fact, they
> transmit _and_ receive on both antennas.  The antenna with the better signal
> gets used, which works beautifully on my router - configured as a WDS
> repeater, one antenna connected to a dish pointed at a router 1000' away,
> and the other using the original stubby.  The machines in my home
> communicate via the stubby, and the two routers communicate via the dish.

With the Linksys router, the ones I'm most familiar with, you can remove
and remote mount one, or both, antenna(s). In situations where, such as
the OP, you have multiple levels one antenna can be used to serve the
upper floor and one the lower floor. That doesn't preclude either
antenna from being used by either location it just gives the best signal
possible to both locations.

I don't know the exact layout of the OP's home but lets say the home
office is above the entry area of the home. Below it there is a coat
closet. It would be very simple to drop one antenna down into the coat
closet. This brings the antenna down to a position more accessible to
the downstairs user.

 By using the DD-WRT software you can adjust the transmit power on the
router. Most off the shelf routers run about 28mW output. Turn the power
up to say 56mW and you get better coverage. DD-WRT also has a lot better
security features.

--
Treat all stressful situations like a dog does.
If you can't eat it or play with it,