Konq 4 chat

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Fri May 22 16:49:12 UTC 2009

marc wrote:

> Michael Hirsch said:
>
>> List night I finally tried out KDE4.  I've been using 3.5 on jaunty
>> until now.  First thing I did was make Konqueror my file browser, but it
>> seems dumbed down, just like dolphin.
>>
>> First thing I see is that there are only 3 views available: icons,
>> details and columns.  What happened to tree view?  list view?  Photo
>> album view?  An I missing a configuration somewhere?
>>
>> Those are the same 3 views dolphin offers.  It dolphin actually running
>> as a kpart in konq?  Oh dear.

Yes.  This is a good thing.

> I think that they are now just different wrappers around the same lib.
> Nothing wrong there, if only they hadn't thrown away so much
> functionality.

I'm still waiting to hear what constitutes "so much".  Michael is partly
right, I believe - there are no File Size view & Album View (as defaults, at
least).  Tree view has been implemented differently, so requires you to turn
on an option in Konqueror settings (In the file manager settings - from
either Dolphin or Konqueror - select "Views", "Details" and check
"expandable folders").  Also, I have a "subversion view" available, because
I installed kdesvn, so other views may be available by installing optional
components - I haven't looked.
--
derek