Installing the PPA version of KDE 4.3.2

Alan Dacey Sr. Grokit at ajinfosearch.com
Fri May 22 15:10:21 UTC 2009

On Friday 22 May 2009 07:56:47 am Donn wrote:
> Thanks to both for the explanations so far.
>
> I have another two questions on the subject:
>
> Given that the ppa intstalls KDE 4.2.3 -- what happens if the normal repos
> (main I think?) get KDE 4.2.3 at some future date? Or is this just plain
> not going to happen -- maybe being what Karmic is for?
>
> Also, I assume that when I have 4.2.3 installed, that the system will not
> look-for or find updates from the 4.2.2 that was the standard Jaunty
> install? (Just want to make sure cos I have bandwidth limits.)
>
> Thanks,
> \d

It is my understanding that the ppa version is the "most recent" so that
supersedes the normal repro's version.  For example, if you have the backports
repro enabled your machine will not install a 4.1 version of a package but the
4.2 version.  It's the same thing.  Once you install the new KDE packages you
will only get updates for them, not the old versions.

You will want to disable the ppa repro at sometime in the future when 4.2.3
hits the normal repros.  That is what I was trying to say in the last post, I
just did not have enough coffee yet :)

Alan