dual booting kubuntu and Opensuse

Willy K. Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Fri May 22 00:21:29 UTC 2009

On Thursday 21 May 2009 19:44:44 Goh Lip wrote:
> Willy K. Hamra wrote:
> > already done these, after getting few boot errors, i realized suse's grub
> > doesn't like my savedefault, so i booted kubuntu manually, and restored
> > our grub on the device, and i always have a copy of my menu.lst backed up
> > with a million different name ;)
>
> Willy, is your Kubuntu grub on ext4? I am not sure what kernel your Suse
> uses, the older kernels will not be able to access ext4 and so cannot
> update the 'savedefault'.
>
> > eventually, i edited SUSE's fstab, and removed the boot partition from
> > there, and let it use the boot directory in its root partition. i kept
> > ubuntu's menu.lst and grub, copied the entries from suse's menu.lst over
> > to ubuntu's file, edited them of course to reflect correct disk usage.
> > so now, any editing suse does to its /boot directory is quite useless, as
> > grub is reading from ubuntu's sepearate /boot partition.
> > i also noticed how suse always keeps a link called vmlinuz pointing to
> > the newest kernel, so i edited menu.lst to actually point at that link,
> > so any future kernels will always be booted without any problems. same
> > goes for initrd. all in all, i'm quite satisfied with the setup. the only
> > disadvantage is that suse can't properly cooperate with ubuntu so they
> > can both edit the menu.lst fairly, so suse's access to its own menu.lst
> > is useless, and so is KDE's access to it, but oh well, that's not really
> > needed.
> > thanks for your help Goh :)
>
> FYI, I set up a partition called Booto on ext2 with 150 MB. In it I set
> up boot/grub and also use kernel of at least 2.6.28.11 so it can read
> ext4. I append below my complete simple /boot/grub/menu.lst
oh no, no ext4 here :P
i actualy tried it once, the whole installation from alpha 3 alternate was a
mess, i blamed it on ext4 (though now i know better why it failed), nd never
used ext4 again after reading how programs misbehave with it.
my boot partition is using ext3

> <<start>>
>
> default        0
> timeout        6
> #hiddenmenu
> color white/blue yellow/blue
>

> title           Kde4
> configfile     (hd0,4)/boot/grub/menu.lst
>
> title            Kde3
> configfile      (hd0,7)/boot/grub/menu.lst
>
> title            Kinky
> configfile       (hd0,1)/boot/grub/menu.lst
>

> title            Vista
> rootnoverify     (hd0,0)
> makeactive
> chainloader    +1
>
> title            Wins7
> rootnoverify     (hd0,3)
> makeactive
> chainloader    +1
>
> title           Ekxtra
> configfile      (hd0,8)/boot/grub/menu.lst
>

> <<end>>
>
> This /boot/grub/menu.lst need not be changed at all unless I want to
> resequence  or change its title and is done through any Linux distro.
> This grub is set to (hd0).
>
> As per my previous message, I will install any Linux to any of the
> partition and let the grub install into its own OS partition. If I
> forget at installation and the grub sets up to (hd0), which it will do
> by default, I can easily reset back this "master" or "first grub" back
> at any grub menu itself when it starts up ( root...then setup). Another
> small point to add is that the OS' grub is set to hidden and timeout to
> 3 secs.
>
> Hope this information is useful.
>
> Regards,
> Goh Lip
>
> Das Wahre ist das Ganze.
>                  - Hegel
>
> (the truth is the world)

ok, now THAT is truly wonderful. why have i never thought f that? maybe it's
because i never had more than one linux distro on one computer. it's a very
neat way. thank you thank you a lot Goh, truly wonderful.

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems