OT. This list has become "Neighbours, The Vollom Years".

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Thu May 21 17:18:42 UTC 2009

Donn wrote:

> On Thursday, 21 May 2009 14:57:59 Derek Broughton wrote:
>> > the ability to have files in one tab and a web-page in another --
>> Damn!  When did that happen?  I still do it (Jaunty).
> Sure, it works in Konqueror. My worry is that Konq is being shifted out of
> the role and Dolphin is taking over. Dolphin does not show html files.

I can't see that ever happening.  Dolphin is the _file_ manager.  Konqueror
is the "anything browser".  Konqueror doesn't actually do much on its own -
it invokes various k-parts to do the browsing, and there's a dolphin-part
that gets invoked inside konqueror.  All that's really changed in Konqueror
is that the file-browsing component has been abstracted, and replaced by a
dolphin part.  It looks like you can now even replace that with _other_
parts (perhaps next, a kommander or krusader part).

> I have found Konq in KDE 4.blah to be subtly ... wrong.
> Examples:
> 1. Go into a folder, click the back button (which you have to manually
> place into a toolbar) and the position in the list you return to is lost
> (i.e you have to re-scroll/find the place you where before).

Right, and that's a _dolphin_ bug.

> 2. Drag and drop to Gwenview does not work.

I would think that's Gwenview's fault.  I don't know.

> 3. The file-tooltip-previews don't show image width and height anymore.
> 4. Middle-click on a file does not open it in a new tab -- well not
> properly.

It may need some configuration, but my experience is that it does.

> 5. Middle-click on the scroll bars (in any kde app) does not
> jump around properly -- you have to right-click and choose "scroll here".

I'm having scrolling problems everywhere too - but this is hardly an
indictment of konqueror, it's something to do with KDE as a whole.

> And so on. Little things that really hurt my brain. And I just don't know
> if they will get better or even worse as Konqy gets less File-manager
> love.

Konqy hasn't had much File-manager love for a long time.  Now, Dolphin is
getting file-manager love.  This can only be good for Konqueror.

Now, for anybody who remembers how PO'd I was with dolphin when KDE 4.1 was
introduced in Intrepid, this isn't an about-face.  That Dolphin couldn't do
a lot of things we were used to.  I firmly believe the new dolphin is on the
right track.
--
derek