dual booting kubuntu and Opensuse

Willy K. Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Thu May 21 15:48:24 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 20 May 2009 18:39:38 Goh Lip wrote:
> Willy K. Hamra wrote:
> > anyone here has such a setup? i just would like to know how others
> > configure grub. right now i have a seperate boot partition for ubuntu,
> > and suse has its own partition. is it ok to let suse use the same boot
> > partition as its own boot partition as well? keep suse's boot directory
> > on its root partition? what about grub? so far, i'm very accustomed to
> > ubuntu's grub and like it. i don't care much about suse's fancy eye-candy
> > grub, but if i can have the eye candy with ubuntu's grub i don't mind.
> > i just want to see how people on this list confgured their booting with
> > suse (or another distro if it's the same)
>
> Normally, the last distro to be installed will be the 'overriding' grub
> to be used as its grub will set itself to be 'root' (grub root, that
> is.) If you want Kubuntu grub to be used after Suse has been set up,
> when you are in Kubuntu, (by entering Kubuntu at Suse's grub menu) do
> the following.....
already done these, after getting few boot errors, i realized suse's grub
doesn't like my savedefault, so i booted kubuntu manually, and restored our
grub on the device, and i always have a copy of my menu.lst backed up with a
million different name ;)

eventually, i edited SUSE's fstab, and removed the boot partition from there,
and let it use the boot directory in its root partition. i kept ubuntu's
menu.lst and grub, copied the entries from suse's menu.lst over to ubuntu's
file, edited them of course to reflect correct disk usage.
so now, any editing suse does to its /boot directory is quite useless, as grub
is reading from ubuntu's sepearate /boot partition.
i also noticed how suse always keeps a link called vmlinuz pointing to the
newest kernel, so i edited menu.lst to actually point at that link, so any
future kernels will always be booted without any problems. same goes for
initrd. all in all, i'm quite satisfied with the setup. the only disadvantage
is that suse can't properly cooperate with ubuntu so they can both edit the
menu.lst fairly, so suse's access to its own menu.lst is useless, and so is
KDE's access to it, but oh well, that's not really needed.
thanks for your help Goh :)

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems