KDE4.3 beta issues

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kubuntu.org
Thu May 21 08:53:23 UTC 2009

Hi all,

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 08:02, Cary Bielenberg <cary at bielenberg.id.au> wrote:

> I totally agree we all should know what we are in for when we install
> beta software, I think to put in bug reports at this stage would be
> overwhelming to the devs.

Wrong: if there actually is a beta version released, they expect bug
reports from the beta testers so they can improve the software for the
final release. Devs can hardly test *everything* themselves and need
the testers to file bug reports. With literally hundreds of
applications it's impossible to test for the devs alone. No bug
reports would mean everything is ok...

So please, do file reports, but check the bugs database for duplicates
before reporting.

In Launchpad there is a 'this bug affects me too' option that comes
very handy for duplicate reports.

If you have testing time, you could also check upstream, e.g. on
bugs.kde.org for equivalent reports. This makes it easier to track
down the actual error.

Oh, and installing the -dbg packages would be a good idea too, at
least for the applications you use the most. This allows to have for
crash reports for example that make sense. Hint: if the automatic
report starts with "no debugging symbols found" the report is useless,
as it wasn't able to track down the error in the code.

Sorry if this seems well know by some of you, but at Kubuntu and KDE
we get tons of useless reports because of lacking debugging symbols,
so I think it's worth mentioning.

Regards, Myriam

http://www.fsfe.org