New installation Jaunty constant permissions problems

steven vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 20 17:26:39 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 20 May 2009 12:12:19 pm John L Vifian wrote:
> ls -l /home/steven/.kde/share/config/arkrc
Dear John,

I reinstalled Jaunty last night.  I set the mounting points on the 500gb drive
to /home/steven/backup2 and formatted the 1 TB drive.  I made a root partition
20gb, a swap partition of 16gb and divided the balance into two partitions.  I
mounted the home partition as /home this time not /home/steven like before,
and the remaining partition, I set the mount point as /home/steven/backup.

I haven't encountered a permissions problem since I changed the mount
partition of the home partition to /home.

I typed the command you recommended into the shell this morning and found
steven with read/write permission.  Oh, by the way, when I formatted and
mounted everything, I retained the ext4 file system.  I want to provide current
data to those who are wondering if ext4 is fixed.  No problems so far.

I did have one problem worth mentioning.  I opened Dolphin in split window,
and dragged and 'copied to' the backup data that was held in the
/home/steven/backup2 drive to /home/steven/backup.  After the transfer was
made, it was like I had 'moved to' rather than 'copied to' the data, so I had
to copy the data back to backup2.  I was careful about this, so I am not sure
what to think, but the 'copy to' feature changed to the 'move to' feature
without my permission.  It was disappointing because it took an additional
hour to redo the task.  187gb.  Coping from one SATA partition on the same
drive to another partition on the same drive was slower.  Transfers ranged
from 20mbps to 60mbps and usually about in the middle.

When making the original transfer, I had a better experience speed wise this
time.  Many times I transferred data at 80 to 90 mbps, however most
transferred at 50 to the high 60's mbps - at one point the transfer speed
jumped to 139.7mbps for a couple of seconds, then stalled for about 5 seconds
and went back to the 60mbps rate.  The combination of SATA and ext4 is quite
remarkable.

I probably gave you more information than you wanted, but when I made the
decision to format and re-install, I didn't wait around.  The actual
formatting and installation including the updates was 21 minutes.  It is easy
getting used to the speed.  Thanks for the help and advice.  I will keep you
posted if things change for the worse; right now everthing seems to run
smoothly.  I am inclined to think the problem may have been the mount point of
the 'home' partition.

Steven