New installation Jaunty constant permissions problems

John L Vifian jongleur at liripipe.com
Wed May 20 16:25:05 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 19 May 2009 4:05:05 pm steven vollom wrote:

>  There are words I will have to get comfortable with because I
> have never used them, like prepend and symbolic link and referent and
> recursive and verbose; some I have heard, but never used or understood.

Some of this you don't need to worry about yet.  However a symbolic link is
like a shortcut to the file or program,  When you drag a file in Dolphin to a
different directory you are given the option of moving it, copying it or
linking it.  The later will create a symbolic link.

Recursive as applied to file operations means that the action will be applied
to the sub-directories and their sub-directories  etc. of the directory to
which the action is applied

> Unless I am in Root, I can't really hurt anything while I explore, can I?
> Thanks!

Uhm you can do damage as yourself but just not as much.  In particular check
out "rm"  via "info rm"

John Vifian
--
Nothing new here, except my marrying, which to me is a matter of profound
wonder.