New installation Jaunty constant permissions problems

steven vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 19 17:25:50 BST 2009

On Tuesday 19 May 2009 02:59:10 am Nils Kassube wrote:
> steven vollom wrote:
> > File:///home/steven/.kde/share/config/arkrc.  I open arkrc using sudo
> > dolphin and change the permissions so that I can use the program.
Although I deserve the hammer, thanks for not hammering me, Nils.

> Never use "sudo dolphin", use "kdesudo dolphin" instead.

Does this apply for all applications that are viewed and used while in the GUI
and not just graphical applications like gimp, digikam, etc.  Or are all the
office applications, browser, email, etc. considered graphical too.
(Trim)
> If you want to change all your config files and all the other stuff in
> your home directory to be owned by you again, you can run the command

Nils, a friend who prefers anonymity wrote off-list that my problem was when I
set the mount point for my /home partition as /home/steven, I created the
permissions problem.  If that is the case, would it be better and less likely
create future problems, if I reinstalled and set the 'home' partition as /home
instead of /home/steven?

> sudo chown -R $USER: $HOME
Is your solution the better choice?  Does it accomplish the same task?  I
really don't mind the reinstall, if that is the wiser move.  Still your
solution is very attractive.

> in a terminal. And write it down, you will most likely need the command
> again.

I really need to learn this stuff, Nils, if I write it down, I may never
remember that it is recorded or where I put it.  Still, I definitely will write
it down.  I will make a file called Ownership/Permissions because both those
words may trigger the memory.  Thanks friend.

Steven