New installation Jaunty constant permissions problems

steven vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 19 23:20:20 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 19 May 2009 01:22:02 pm John L Vifian wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 May 2009 9:44:03 am steven vollom wrote:
> > I just installed Jaunty fresh again.  I changed all my mounting points
> > putting all partitions in the /home partition excepting root and swap.  I
> > did perhaps make a mistake by mounting my /home parition as /home/steven
> > and believe that may be the reason I am having permissions problems.
>
> Could you be more specific about what sort of permission problems you are
> having?

In one instance digikam would not allow me to do much, because of lacking
permissions.  Ark refused to allow me to use it because of permissions.
Certain folders that I created did not allow me to delete irrelevant data due
to permissions problems.  e-Sword would not open due to permissions.  Those
are the ones I remember, but it happened just about every time I tried to do
something.  That is why I became so frustrated.  I thought I had carefully
applied instructions relating to mounting and expected everything to work
better when i opened the fresh install.  Quite the contrary.

A friend suggested, off List, that I should perhaps have mounted my home
directory as /home instead of /home/steven because of how the computer would
react to the /home/steven command rather than the /home command.  All of this
is an attempt to make my saved data less vulnerable to problems with OS
crashes or application crashes.  It also happened at a time when I needed
certain applications working that I did not expect losing.  I was unable to
meet certain commitments because applications would not work that always had
worked before.

> If a file has the wrong owner or group what are the current owner and
> group? Is it root? Is it a number?

When I have attempted to correct the problem, it has always been root.  I am
alone and no one else uses my computer, so much of what is a concern in the
List is much more serious than my needs.  Nonetheless, I want to learn how to
use my simple system properly.  Someday it may be used for more serious
purposes.

Thanks for your patience.  Slowly but surely I am progressing.  You last email
helped a lot.

Steven