New installation Jaunty constant permissions problems

steven vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 19 23:05:05 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 19 May 2009 01:12:20 pm John L Vifian wrote:
> info chown
Thanks John, this is really helpful.  I have been experimenting with it for a
few minutes and can see that if I can get these to front lobe memory, I can
start understanding.  I am going to take time each day leaning the meaning of
some of these commands and take the path that they lead me by the various
instructions.  Chown means Change Ownership which seems an acceptable acronym.
It means a lot more when I see it as change ownership than chown.  There are
words I will have to get comfortable with because I have never used them, like
prepend and symbolic link and referent and recursive and verbose; some I have
heard, but never used or understood.  Unless I am in Root, I can't really hurt
anything while I explore, can I?  Thanks!

Steven