New installation Jaunty constant permissions problems

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Tue May 19 19:41:43 UTC 2009

steven vollom wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 May 2009 02:59:10 am Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Never use "sudo dolphin", use "kdesudo dolphin" instead.
>
> Does this apply for all applications that are viewed and used while
> in the GUI and not just graphical applications like gimp, digikam,
> etc.  Or are all the office applications, browser, email, etc.
> considered graphical too. (Trim)

This applies to all applications which have a graphical user interface,
not only to applications for handling graphics files. Otherwise it
wouldn't make sense because dolphin is a file manager, not an
application to handle graphics files.

> Nils, a friend who prefers anonymity wrote off-list that my problem
> was when I set the mount point for my /home partition as
> /home/steven, I created the permissions problem.  If that is the
> case, would it be better and less likely create future problems, if I
> reinstalled and set the 'home' partition as /home instead of
> /home/steven?

I think using /home as the mount point instead of /home/steven makes
sense. I'm not sure it is the reason for your problems but it is quite
possible.

> > sudo chown -R $USER: $HOME
>
> Is your solution the better choice?  Does it accomplish the same
> task?

No, those are different things. This command is only a way to reclaim
the files which might have changed ownership.

Nils