KPDF gone - Is there a good replacement

Michael Satterwhite michael at weblore.com
Tue May 19 15:57:22 UTC 2009

In Jaunty, KPDF has been replaced by evince. While I'm sure there are some
advantages to it (haven't found them yet, but I'm a bit slow), there is a big
disadvantage.

KPDF had the ability to go back where "back" meant the page you were viewing
before the current one. Example, if I looked went from an item in the index to
the page containing it, back would return me to where I was in the index. With
evince, it appears that I have to manually reposition to where I was in the
index - a huge step backward.

Assuming I'm not missing a way to do what I could before, can anyone suggest a
better PDF viewer? Ideally I'd like to be able to add my own bookmarks as well
as being able to page back through the pages as I viewed them ... but I'd be
happy with the back function the way kpdf had it.

Suggestions anyone?
---Michael