New installation Jaunty constant permissions problems

Clay Weber claydoh at midmaine.com
Tue May 19 06:30:04 UTC 2009

On Monday 18 May 2009 11:25:14 pm steven vollom wrote:
> File:///home/steven/.kde/share/config/arkrc.  I open arkrc using sudo
> dolphin and change the permissions so that I can use the program.  The
> permissions are not greyed out, and I am able to change them to give me
> permission, but when I click OK, no permissions are transferred to me.  I
> can't tell you how angry this makes me.  If we are supporting freedom, why
> do the owners of their own computers have to fight with programmers to get
> permission to use what is their own.  Every time I turn around I am stopped
> from doing something I need to do by my own computer.  I love Kubuntu, but
> I will trash my computer before I give over my freedom.
>
> To the people who make these decisions for me.  I hate it.  I just don't
> dislike it, I hate it.  As much as I have loved the Kubuntu experience, I
> hate the prison you are trying to put me in.  I will quit Kubuntu before I
> give in. I am one of your staunchest supporters, yet I am growing to HATE
> you for this robbery of my freedom.  You have never been there to help me
> when I needed you, when the burglar with a gun is trying to rob me.  Stay
> the hell out of my computer's freedom.  I had a mother and father, I don't
> want a replacement.  I have never worked for someone else, and I don't want
> a boss.  I have defended myself from all attackers for my entire life.  It
> is always some gutless guy in the background who tries to take power over
> you, someond who would cut and run if any real danger came his way.  The
> best creation you have made to date is a pile of crap, if I have to use it
> the way you want me to use it.
>
> Create a code that when entered takes your ability to control, guide,
> inhibit the use of my computer and you will keep me.  As good a salesman as
> I can be for you, I will passionately be against you, if you don't stop
> this nonsence.
>
> I thought Linux people loved freedom.  What a line of bul.sh.t.  You are
> just Nazis in sheep clothing when you steal the freedom of the people who
> support you.  What does a person have to do to get away from the tyrants of
> this world.
>
> If someone who knows the way around this tyranny can explain how I get
> around the prison they want me in, please help me.  There must be someone
> out there with the knowledge to help that hates this intrusion on their own
> freedom.  It takes a lot to make me angry, but I am willing to die for my
> freedom.  That is how serious I am about this crap.  I am sorry but no
> other word that I will use fits.
>
> Steven
One  word here: ext4.
There are known issues with this filesystem that I believe have not been fixed
yet. Data loss on config files  might be the culprit here, I had seen this
permissions problem as well as freezes and hangs due to this, back in the
betas.

Stick with the defaults when installing, and please don't think the world is
against you when  you do something perhaps without some simple investigations

Searching for 'ubuntu ext4' and 'kubuntu ext4' turn up not only other people's
questions, but also the data loss issue, for example.

Now, with the rest of your comments, I have one more word for you:

plonk

--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net