**RESOLVED**Re: permission

clay weber claydoh at midmaine.com
Tue May 19 00:52:39 UTC 2009

steven vollom wrote:
> On Monday 18 May 2009 06:49:49 pm clay weber wrote:
>> steven vollom wrote:

>>> I can't remember what it was before, but I think the comment was
>>> something like no such file or directory.
>>>
>>> Nice to hear your voice, my friend.  I finally got it to work, however I
>>> had a permissions problem.  The first couple of times, I got it to show
>>> read and write permission for the owner, with the box at the bottom
>>> checked for all folders etc.  Still twice, it retained root root at the
>>> bottom.  Then finally it accepted the instruction on the third attempt,
>>> and it works now, just before I answered your email.
>> There should be no reason to run a non-admin program or tool using sudo
>> or kdesudo (for GUI apps), else you can have problems such as this.
>> While it is not too hard to fix, it is annoying to figure it out if you
>> have never come across the issue before
>>

>> clay
> The only reason I used sudo is because I was refused the program due to lack
> of permission.

Permissions of the files and folders and not the *program* most likely.
I am guessing something being run with sudo changed those permissions on
your personal config files/folders.

> I just tried sudo, like I would if using sudo Dolphin to change permissions.
> It did not work the first two times.  It said Owner had read/write however it

Use kdesudo instead of sudo for GUI apps, and you won't see these
problems. And only use kdesudo for admin tools - such as kate or
dolphin. Digikam, amarok, openoffice, etc don't need admin privileges

I would have run 'digikam' (without kdesudo) in a terminal to see the
exact error message was (if any error popup didn't give any specifics),
it probably would have spit out what file or folder the digikam could
not open.
.
> remained root root down below in the box.  The third time it worked and
> permission was changed, and I could use the application.  What would you have
> tried if you wanted to download pictures and were refused due to a permission
> deficiency?

> I have never come across the problem before either, and I have a fresh install
> of Jaunty with my partitions finally properly mounted, my system backed up
> properly, and just basic daily applications installed.
>
> My neighbor was just burglarized and did not have a camera to record the
> damage.  He asked if I would take pictures and make a cd for him.  I did, but
> did not yet have digikam installed.  This is the first time I have had trouble
> installing digikam.  Nonetheless, it is the first time I have had a 64 bit
> system.  I never really know if new problems are due to the 64 bit
> applications, but that is what is different for me.

64 bit is not an issue here

   Oh, I also have all
> partitions with ext4 file systems for the first time
That may be a problem area, unless things were fixed. I had many
permission problems while using the 9.04 betas with ext4 on my /home -
there were numerous bug reports specific to KDE and ext4, but I do not
know if there was any resolution. I use ext4 on my /, and ext3 on my
/home at the moment with no issues, but it's old hardware

.  FYI, I transferred 130gb
> of data into my backup in 31 minutes.  It was incredible.

I can't wait to get a couple of sata drives to see some real speed like
that :)

> I believe I will have less problems now.  For the first time, I have all my
> partitions mounted in /home/steven.  It is great, I can open dolphin in split
> screen and move every piece of saved data from the one open application.
> Additionally, no data is ever really in any jeopardy due to crash of
> application, only drive failure, and I have my data saved on two new drives.
>
> Steven

Clay